Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Favorite Dictionary...The Longman English Dictionary


One of my biggest pet peeves is when I look up the meaning of a concept or word and I need to use a dictionary just to understand the definition. If you are like me, you will love this free online dictionary: Longman English Dictionary. The definitions from Longman are written using easy-to-understand English. Sure anyone can go into Google and type "define: _________" and get a definition, but the Longman definition will be more accurate and concise than other resources.

I work with many English language learners and I am lucky to have a class set of the Longman dictionaries. However, as we use iPads on a daily basis, I was grateful to find that Longman allows users to use their website for free! They offer an expensive app, but as the phrase goes "ain't nobody got time for that".

You should bookmark the Longman website for yourself and for your students!

PS...When I give online assignments, I often have students look up definitions before getting into the nitty gritty work. I am not hyperlinking the Longman site on the online handout to be more efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment