Thursday, May 22, 2014

I am in kahoots with Kahoot!



I came across Kahoot! this morning, made a short quiz, and my students fell in love. Kahoot! allows a teacher or student to create a quiz that the class can play as a game. The students became extremely competitive right away. There is a way to incorporate YouTube videos and images into the creation of quiz questions. Additionally, one can access quizzes already created if they want to save some time. A teacher can also create surveys and discussion activities, though I have not tried them out yet.You can view my Kahoot! from today at this link.

A student logs in once the teacher starts the quiz--all a student needs is an internet accessible device and an internet connection (NO APP NEEDED). In order to join the game, the student needs to input the game pin created each time the teacher starts a new game (see image below). The questions and answers are displayed by the teacher on an LCD screen and the students in the audience get points for getting the answer right in the shortest amount of time. The scores are shown after every question...my students became quite competitive. After the game, the teacher can download the student's results (formative assessment data!!)

The image to the left is what is shown by the teacher's LCD screen, while the image to the right is what shows up on a student's internet enabled device.

Check out the excitement these students show as they answer a question. My students emulated this today....it was pretty fun to watch their excitement.


When we finished the quiz, many students asked "Why didn't we do this all year?" Lol...I found out about Kahoot! today, but guess what I will be using next year to formatively assess my students....

No comments:

Post a Comment