Sunday, May 11, 2014

Flipping the Classroom INSIDE the Classroom

A colleague sent me an article a few weeks ago describing the "In Class" Flipped Model. After reading the first paragraph, I jumped out of my chair and said to myself, "This is what I am doing!!". I am lucky to have an iPad cart and reliable WiFi. However, I teach in an "urban" high school where nearly 70% of the student population receives a free/reduced lunch. Thus, requiring students to perform an assignment that requires technology/internet access can be challenging. I often use other YouTube videos or my own creations inside the classroom. The students and I like the fact that they can work at their own pace--rewinding, pausing, fast forwarding without waiting for me or slowing down their classmates. Typically, students will view a video, answer written questions that accompany the video, and complete a multiple choice formative assessment. I thoroughly enjoy walking to each student--checking their progress and giving them instant feedback or assistance. I can diagnose problems and explain errors immediately.

Here is an example of a Video/Reading Activity I used with my ESOL Government students when we learned about the Census.

Nevertheless, I do use flipped components outside of the classroom. My AP US Government and Politics students who I see daily regularly have assignments that require them to read/watch something in order to answer questions and provide feedback. I call these assignments Video/Reading Activities (I know...a catchy title!) Based upon student questions they submit and answers they provide on the attached formative assessments, I can spend class time efficiently teaching in the areas students need help rather than just guessing.

Here is an example of a Video/Reading Activity I used in my Public Policy Unit with my AP US Government and Politics students.

There are many pros to this method, however, the main cons are the amount of time a teacher needs in order to prepare these lessons. I assume I will be able to reuse and tweak current versions for future classes.

Here are the main tools I use to perform my "In Class" Flip:
- Google Forms
- Flubaroo
- Screencast-O-matic
- YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment