Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Snow Days...What Snow Days!?!

If you live in Washington, DC area, you are already aware that we have been closed many days due to winter weather. Additionally, my district has had 10 delayed openings!

Was I worried  that my students would get behind? Yes.

Did I sit back and do nothing? NO!

During these "days off", I was able to send my students Video/Reading Activities to keep them on pace to take their AP exam in May. As I tell them often, the College Board doesn't care about how many snow days we have...the exam is still May 12th!

My Video/Reading Activities are really just Google Forms that I use to provide content and formatively assess their understanding of the topics. I have been using these activities for a few years now, however, I have been dependent on them more this year because of the roller coaster calendar we are having. Students can do the activities on a smart phone, tablet, or personal computer. They can watch a video as many times as they want and read the information at their own pace. Really, these activities are my way of "flipping the classroom".

As I have noted before, I love Google Forms because I can create an activity like below and then use Flubaroo to quickly grade, analyze the data, and send the scores to students.

I posted the assignments using three different methods:
  1. Email
  2. Edmodo posts
  3. Text messages using Remind (my favorite!)
Here are a sample of the lessons I shared with students:


No comments:

Post a Comment