Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My Tech Tools for Educators Checklist



Let me set up the impetus for my latest blog post and newest edTech resource. This is the first time in ten years that I will not be teaching my own classes, rather I will be helping educators integrate technology into their classrooms. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with so many great tools available, and the fact that new tools pop up regularly.

I was listening to a terrific podcast on my way to one of my schools the other day and had an epiphany. During this podcast episode, the host quickly listed different categories: learning management systems (LMS), formative assessment, maker tools, and communication. I said to myself, "YES, I can put together a simple document of resources that would help my colleagues". The purpose of this resource would be to encourage educators research different tools for each category and begin the process of mastering a tool in each category.

Here is the fruit of my vision: a five category Google Doc that lists tools for each of the categories listed below. I included a blank Content Specific Tools category since an educator should have the goal to master a tool that is specifically made for particular content areas. Obviously, I didn't list every tool that exists for each of these five categories. I listed resources that I either have personally used or resources that have a good reputation. Knowing my love affair with tweaking things, I am sure I will make adjustments to my checklist in the future.

I hope you can find a few gems to use in the coming school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment