Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I used to love snow days...



I teach in the suburbs of Washington, DC. We haven't had a particularly snowy winter, rather we have had lots of "nuisance" storms causing many days off and delays. As you know, students of all ages struggle with the start and stop of routines and learning due to delays and days off.

Nevertheless, I have been providing relatively short "flipped lessons" to keep students on pace. My AP students will be taking their AP US Government and Politics exam on May 13 no matter what, therefore I have told them many times that we will continue learning no matter what Mother Nature throws at us.

I have been using Edmodo and Remind101 to send out short flipped lessons that utilize Google Forms. I am a big fan of creating formative assessments using Google Forms as noted in previous posts. I love the fact that I can post a video, reading, or other stimulus along with questions to gauge student understanding. The data I gather helps me know where I will need to review.

Here are a couple of examples of assignments I sent to students over the last few snow storms. I have attempted to keep assignments relatively simple, yet full of important information they will need to know for future assessments.

Example 1: Checking the Federal Courts

Example 2: Learning about Marbury v. Madison

Example 3: Learning about the Bureaucracy Using Videos

Have you done similar activities with students during snow days? I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment