Wednesday, January 25, 2012

E-Books



Ken Halla is a social studies teacher in Northern Virginia. NBC Washington recently covered how he uses E-Books (electronic books) in his classroom. I like the idea that students can access their textbooks anywhere without having to carry a giant book, though I do have some reservations. Here is a link to the news report.

My big concern with school districts mandating more technology uses for students outside the classroom is rooted in the fact that many low income students lack Internet access at home. The news story mentions how students can check out computers from school (I hope PGCPS adopts this) and how students can use computers at local libraries. I am a big fan of the Hyattsville library close to my school, but because of budget cuts their hours have been shortened.

I tutor my nephew (a 6th grader in a PGCPS charter school) and his social studies class uses E-Books. He likes using the technology to learn, however, he prints out much of the information. You can imagine ink and paper costs for his mother have taken a toll. 

I foresee E-Books spreading to more school districts as a means of saving money buying expensive paper textbook books. 


1 comment:

  1. Billy,
    I have to say I am wary of E-book movement for a lot of the reasons you bring up and along those lines I think about the joy of bringing books home and having the school "give" you a book. Students may complain about having too many books but when I hear them complain, I also hear pride and a feeling of importance that just giving them a web address does not create.

    ReplyDelete