Monday, January 2, 2012

What is a "Flipped Classroom"?




"Flipped Classroom"

The main idea of this type of teaching is for teachers to upload a video or podcast that delivers education content. Students are expected to view/listen to the content at their home. At the following class, the teacher provides students opportunities to perform activities using and practicing the information they learned in the comfort of their home. Simply put, students learn at home, while they perform formative assessment in the classroom. The old definition of "homework" is thrown out the door!

The link above shows an informational graphic showing how a "Flipped Classroom" works.

If you are curious about this phenomenon, check out these links:
1. USA Today article
2. Khan Academy
3. The Daily Riff article

Personally, I love the principle of a "Flipped Classroom". However, in order for this philosophy of learning to function students need the infrastructure to view course content outside of the classroom. Computers, tablets, and Internet access are expensive items for many of the students I teach. Students with access to Smart Phones are able to bypass some of challenges previously mentioned. Nevertheless, I do favor utilizing technology to make learning more personal.

A month back, I realized nearly all of my AP US Government students were not going to attend class due to an Honor Roll assembly. Instead of wasting the day, I turned the lecture/discussion into a Youtube video using a great resource (http://screencast-o-matic.com). Here was my finished product.

I plan on commenting more about screencasting in a later post.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a flipped classroom. To me it seems like a hard task to start but once its running it can be very beneficial. I also love the idea of using Edmodo when I am not meeting with my class. The ability to go online and comment on an assignment is priceless.

    ReplyDelete