Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Edmodo


What is Edmodo? (from Edmodo.com
"Edmodo provides teachers and students a secure place to connect and collaborate, share content and educational applications, and access homework, grades, class discussions and notifications. Our goal is to help educators harness the power of social media to customize the classroom for each and every learner."


This video above gives an overview of Edmodo...

I like to use the last few weeks of the school year to experiment with potentially new assignments and technology items in order to get ready for the next school year. A colleague at another high school told me he uses Edmodo with his students and they love it. He sold me by saying how Edmodo has a free App for Iphone and Android and how the website is geared towards students who primarily access the internet via mobile device.  Edmodo also allows a user to connect their Google Docs to their account. 


The interface looks eerily similar to Facebook...something I think is great for students since they are already accustomed to social media websites. I am excited to see how Edmodo works in the coming weeks. A teacher can do polls, create TIMED quizzes, and allow students to submit assignments through EDMODO. The teacher can also allow students to post discussion questions, though this feature can be managed by the teacher. A teacher can post videos, links, and create class calendars...As you can see, there are many wonderful resources. 


Over the next few weeks I will share my experiences...So far, I am impressed!

1 comment:

  1. I used the Edmodo iPad app with my students; they loved it! While it can seem like a knockoff of Facebook with fewer features, the ability to introduce class discussion is a vital resource to have. My students tuned into the discussions and actually responded to each other's comments...as we have been working on Socratic discussion method, this was an exiting development. Kudos for posting! (PGCPS has a license; USE IT, folks!)

    ReplyDelete