Thursday, February 9, 2012

Common Core...We'are already doing this stuff!



Over the next few years, nearly all the states are voluntarily adopting the Common Core State Standards (or just Common Core). As a social studies teacher, it is a bit scary that my state of Maryland seems to be solely focused on Math and English content areas. According to the English Common Core standards, high school students are supposed to be able to use English to effectively communicate using persuasion and explanation--this sounds like social studies to me. Furthermore, the Common Core standards are meant to help our students become "college and career ready" through teachers assisting in the development of student higher ordering thinking skills---this sounds like social studies to me. The Common Core standards emphasize that students should become adept at research and reading primary source documents--social studies again!! 

A great video that explains Common Core

So...what is this crazy teacher trying to say? Theoretically, I wholeheartedly support high standards for all students in every state throughout the USA. What scares me is that English and Math are receiving much of the focus, while social studies, arts, music, science, and personal fitness are considered bunk. Perhaps in the future the Common Cores standards will grow to encompass these necessary content areas, however, in these trying economic times, it is difficult for schools to divvy resources to content areas that are not under strict federal, state, and local oversight. If Math and English are the only Common Core standards, then schools are going to direct their scarce money, teachers, technology, etc. to these content areas. Logically, it makes sense...if my mom only checked to see if I made my bed, but she didn't check to see if my closet was clean, I would ignore my closet and make my bed. (Honestly, I would go nuts if my closet was dirty, but saying that would hurt my argument)

The video above does a pretty good job explaining the basics of Common Core. Undergraduate and graduate education students are receiving lots of education about Common Core, while us foot soldiers are in the process of digesting the latest and greatest method to fix our education system. If you are a social studies teacher like me you should be happy that many of the skills we are teaching are part of the Common Core standards. I do hope that social studies eventually joins the prestige of English and Math, but until then I will keep teaching my students how to explain information, analyze documents/media, and persuade their classmates through their formal writing and oral presentations.


No comments:

Post a Comment